Find the Best Microwave Oven for You
I remember when microwave ovens first became popular in the 70’s. I was a kid and some of my friends had them in their homes. I was fascinated by those big, bulky, loud boxes that could cook so much faster than the stove. Microwaves have come a long way since then. Now there are so many styles, options and sizes to pick from.
Finding the best microwave oven is dependent on what is important for you and your household. There are so many options out there, you need to be aware of what is available before you make your decision.
Some of the things to be on the lookout for:
Wattage for microwave ovens range from 500 watts to 1250 watts. The higher the wattage, the faster the food will cook. Most recipes are for 800 watt microwave ovens.
How much space do you have in your kitchen for your microwave? And are you going to cook a whole chicken on a regular basis in your microwave or just heat up soup? Think about these things when choosing your microwave.
Do you need a combo microwave that cooks like a regular oven too? Or maybe one that has a grill function? These combo microwaves will cost you more but they are more versatile than just a plain microwave oven.
How much do you want to pay for your oven? Microwave ovens range in a wide variety of prices from about $40 to well over a thousand dollars. You do get what you pay for but there are quality microwaves in the lower end price range too.
Best Microwave Oven Deals for 1,200 Watt Microwaves
1200 watt microwave ovens are the most popular. They are powerful and cook fast. They really don’t use up more electricity than the lower wattage ovens since they will cook the food faster.
1000 watt microwaves are the next most popular microwave oven.
Oster OGG61403 1-2/5-Cubic-Feet Microwave Oven, Stainless Steel
The Oster OGG61403 has 10 power levels and a programmable child lock.
Panasonic NN-SD681S Genius “Prestige” 1.2 cuft 1200 Watt Sensor Microwave with Inverter Technology & Blue Readout, Stainless Steel
This Panasonic has Inverter Microwave Technology which cooks foods more evenly. It also allows for more interior space inside.
Sharp R-520KS 2-Cubic-Foot 1200-Watt Microwave Oven, Stainless Steel
Big enough to cook most any dish in, this sleek stainless steel beauty has gotten great reviews.
Frigidaire FFCE2238LW 2.2 Cu. Ft. Countertop Microwave – White
A large capacity oven, big enough to hold a 13″x9″ baking dish! It has 10 power levels including a Keep Warm feature.
KitchenAid KCMS1655BSS 1.6 cu. ft. Countertop Microwave Oven with 1200 Cooking Watts, 9 Quick-Touch Cycles, Recessed Turntable and Optional Trim Kit: Stainless Steel
An upper end, heavy duty microwave with 9 power cycles and a kitchen timer.
What Is the Best Microwave Oven for Home Use?
Some things people are thinking about when shopping for a microwave oven are:
- Safety – Is it well made? Will this oven leak harmful radiation? Will my young child be able to turn it on and damage it?
- Quiet- How quiet is it? Be aware that the larger wattage models are also louder. Fortunately they also cook faster. Also does the microwave have a loud ring when it’s done and does it keep on ringing until you open the door and take the food out.
- Portability- How portable is it? Can it be easily moved from place to place in the kitchen if need be?
- Size- Is it the right size for me? A single person household or a family who just uses the microwave to reheat stuff will probably do fine with a small model where as a family or someone who does a lot of microwave cooking will need a larger model.
Best Microwave Ovens for Baking or Grilling
Today’s microwaves can do more than just nuke your food. Some have options to grill your food or bake your food like a regular oven would.
Sharp R-820JS 0.9-Cubic Foot Grill 2 Convection Microwave, Silver
A versatile microwave that will eliminate the need for many other kitchen appliances. This baby microwaves, grills, roasts and bakes. It has 11 power settings.
Sharp SuperSteam Microwave Oven
This oven will steam food and work as a convection oven along with being a typical microwave oven. It also includes some cookware such as a steam basket and several racks and baking trays.
Panasonic NN-CD989S Genius “Prestige” 1.5 cuft 1100-Watt Sensor Convection Microwave with Inverter Technology, Full Stainless Steel
This large capacity oven is also a convection oven so less need to heat up your stove’s oven.
Sharp 12F639 Microwave, 3 in 1, Steam and Grill
Not only microwaves, this oven also grills and steams. It comes with 2 steam trays and a grill rack.
Best Low Cost Microwave Oven
Microwave Ovens for Under $100
Oster OGZB1101 1.1 Cubic Feet Digital Microwave Oven, Black
The Oster has an easy to use keypad and 6 cooking options.
Sunbeam SGS90701B 0.7-Cubic Feet Microwave Oven, Black
Small and compact, this great looking oven has 6 cooking options.
Haier MWM0701TW 700 Watt Countertop Microwave, White
10 power levels and child locks.
Magic Chef Mcm770B .7 Cubic Feet 700-Watt Microwave with Digital Touch
10 power levels.
RCA 0.9 Cubic Feet Microwave Oven, Black
Gorgeous with 10 power levels and child locks.
Best Microwave Oven Brands
I have shown you several of the more popular brands of microwave ovens but there are more. The top searches for microwave oven brands are:
- GE (General Electric}-GE has been around for more than a hundred years and is known for quality products.
- Sharp- Sharp is known as an innovative leader with their products.
- Panasonic- is best known for their electronics but has ventured into kitchen appliances too.
- Whirlpool- has been making quality home appliances for many decades.
- Kitchenaid- has always specialized in making great kitchen appliances.
- Amana- is known for its strength in “the art of common sense”.
- Samsung- Another company that makes great electronics, they also make pretty nice kitchen appliances too.
- LG- is a Korean company that specializes in durable, low cost appliances.
- Sunbeam- has been around since the 1800’s.
- Oster- is known for their quality products,
- Haier- is a Chinese company that is known low cost products.
Click on any of the company name’s above to be taken to their line of microwaves for sale.
How to Clean a Microwave Oven
Article by Cathy Ratcliffe