Keurig B40 Elite Gourmet Single-Cup Home-Brewing System
Several years ago when I first heard about single serve coffee makers that used pods or cups of pre-measured coffee, I was a little curious about them but didn’t give them much thought.
Then one of my closest friends, Joanie, got a Keurig coffee brewer and I really loved hers. Every time I go over to her house, I get a cup of coffee made from her coffee maker. I loved that I could pick my own flavor. They call the single serve coffee that comes in little plastic cups, k cups. Those little k cups come in so many flavors!
I did ask my friend if they were more expensive than buying coffee in a bag and she said yes, but she often wasted the coffee she made in her old traditional coffee maker. With a one cup coffee maker, there is no “leftovers”. So she felt it averaged out to be about the same. I have to agree since I will only drink the “good stuff”. It can run $9-$11 a pound.
Ever since I was introduced to my friend’s coffee maker, I have wanted one of these Keurig coffee makers for myself. I did narrow it down to the Keurig B60 or the Keurig B40 but, I just never got around to getting one. My family knew I wanted one and for Mothers Day this year, my son got me a Keurig B-40 Elite Gourmet Single-Cup Home-Brewing System.
He actually gave it to me about 3 weeks before Mothers Day, partly because he was so excited about giving me something he knew I really wanted and partly because he loves coffee too and I know he wanted to try out the b40 for himself.
We have had so much fun trying out the different coffees, teas and even hot chocolate k cups. The k cup coffee is as good or better than the kind I have had in Starbucks and other coffee houses.
After using this Keurig brewer for a while now, I still love it. I think it’s the best coffee maker out there. That’s why I decided to do my first review on this site about it.
Why I Wanted a Single Serve Coffee Maker
There were several reasons I wanted to get this type of coffee machine.
- I wanted to make iced tea by the glass. I love peppermint tea (it can be iced or hot but I prefer iced) and Celestial Half and Half Black Tea and Lemonade.
- I wanted to be able to make a single cup at a time. I was tired of wasting coffee in a conventional coffee maker.
- I wanted to make a really good cup of coffee. Let’s just say I’m “coffee challenged”. I never make good tasting coffee or tea on my own. My Keurig makes the best tasting coffee ever!
- I wanted something easy to take care of, easy to clean and easy to use. My Keurig B40 is all of those things.
- I wanted to impress my friends by letting them pick their own flavor of coffee or tea.
What I Love About the Keurig B40
- The design is sleek and pleasing to the eye.
- It takes a few minutes to heat up but after it has heated, it will brew a cup of coffee in under a minute. Much quicker than most coffee makers.
- I can chose the size of drink that I want.
- I like that some of the parts are removable such as the water reservoir and the drip tray.
- I love that I don’t have to add water very often and when I do need to add water, the Keurig lets me know.
- It tells me when it needs cleaning (or descaling) which is pretty easy to do.
- I can always have a fresh hot drink whenever I want.
- This machine is very tech friendly: very easy to use.
What I Don’t Like About the Keurig
There’s nothing in particular that I don’t like about my Keurig but the only thing I don’t like about using a single serve coffee maker in general, is that if there is a big crowd at my house, it would take a long time to make coffee for everyone. So far that hasn’t happened yet but I plan on storing my old coffee maker just in case.
My friend Joanie, who does often have large parties, just invites her guests to help themselves and make their own. The Keurig coffee brewers are really simple to use and there is a big variety of coffee to chose from.
The coffee machine and manual are included, plus you get a 12 pack variety of k cups of coffee and tea to try. Oh, and if you ever lose your manual, can get one online here: Keurig B40 Manual.
What are the Features and Benefits
- This is a single serve coffee machine so you get a fresh cup of coffee any time you want. No more stale, reheated coffee.
- The B40 makes 2 sizes of drinks: 71/4 oz. and 9 1/4 oz. This is great for controlling how strong you want to make your coffee.
- The drip tray is removable which makes it really easy to clean. It also comes in handy if you want to use a large glass for iced tea, or for a travel mug for your coffee. Just remove the tray and slip your glass under the dispenser.
- It has a 2 hour automatic shut off, so on those busy mornings when you forget to shut the Keurig off, you don’t have to worry and wonder if you shut it off or not.
- The K cups come in hundreds of varieties and flavors. You are sure to find some flavors that you love. You can get coffees in a variety of strengths and flavors to suit your taste. There are also a large variety of teas and some hot cocoa and apple cider too. The coffees and teas come in hot and iced variety.
- You can find the k cups in lots of places, both online and locally. Locally I have found them at my local grocery store (Farm Fresh) and Publix, Target, Walmart (very limited variety), Sam’s, and Bed Bath and Beyond. Online you can get them at Keurig.com, and Amazon (with free shipping!).
- The water reservoir is removable for easy re-filling and only needs to be refilled after you have made 6-7 cups of coffee.
- The water is heated to 192 degrees fahrenheit so your drink is nice and hot.
- It comes with a one year warranty.
- The size is 13.0″H x 9.8″W x 13.3″D and fits comfortably in most kitchens. It’s a nice looking machine.
- It has Quiet-Brew Technology® so though it does make a little noise, it isn’t particularly loud and only lasts a few seconds.
- If you buy through Amazon, the shipping is free!
Who This Coffee Maker is For
- Coffee drinkers who only want a cup or two at a time, and making a pot will be wasted.
- Multiple people in a household who like different drinks: decaf coffee, regular coffee, flavored coffee,tea, etc.
- People who entertain.
- People who are in a rush in the mornings but want a good cup of coffee.
- People who are trying to cut down on their expensive Starbucks habit.
Who This Coffee Maker Is Not For
- Anyone who needs to make large quantities of coffee that needs to be ready at the same time.
- People who love to control how their coffee is made. By that I mean, the folks who like to roast and grind their own coffee beans and brew it in coffee presses and such.
- Those who are very “green”. The k cups actually can be recycled, but by the time you tear them apart, separate the components and clean it out, you have defeated one of the main reason for owning this coffee maker, which is for convenience.
What Others Are Saying
“What I really like about this, is when you are having a party, everyone can make the hot drink of their choice; coffee, decaf coffee, tea, cocoa etc. and all I have to do is make sure the water reservoir stays full. It holds enough for several cups, but with enough people, it does empty. It’s easy to have a pitcher of water handy right beside it though to refill it.”
“So I’m worthless in the morning. I cant be trusted to have an extra 10 minutes to fill a pot, dispense said pot and rinse it out. This has been a lifesaver. I make only what I need. I have my travel cup there and in a minute I’m ready to go out the door. Its also great for guests with different coffee and tea tastes. I’ve used this coffee maker more in 2 months than I used my old one in 2years. Not to mention it looks great on the counter top.”
“I love this product. It’s extremely easy to operate and makes a fast, delicious cup of coffee. The fact that “cleaning the pot of coffee grinds” is not an issue with the Keurig, certainly doesn’t hurt. I’m enjoying it so much, I bought one for my coffer-lover daughter-in-law for Christmas.”
“I’ve never been a huge coffee drinker, so making a pot of coffee wasn’t something I did often. In fact, my coffee usually came out pretty terrible. My husband likes coffee, but the hassle of making a pot wasn’t something that appealed to him either. Once we got the Keurig though everything changed. I can make the occasional cup that actually tastes good and he can make coffee every morning to take to work without spending a fortune at Starbucks. With the amazon subscription plans for the k-cups the price is reasonable and we both get to pick which flavors we like best. Offering coffee to guests is a piece of cake and letting them choose from our carousel of K-cups is always a fun conversation piece. All in all, we couldn’t be happier with the taste of the coffee, the ease of use and the savings from Starbucks!”
Where You Can Read More Reviews for Keurig B40 Coffee Maker?
You can read all the reviews on Amazon here: Keruig B40 Reviews.
Out of about 500 reviews, there were some negative ones too. Some were from years back and the company seems to have remedied those complaint problems. For instance, many of the older reviews mentioned that the B-40 was loud and actually shook. I can attest personally that it isn’t loud and it doesn’t shake. In fact, Keurig has developed the Quiet-Brew Technology® that has taken care of the noise problem.
Others have complained about the customer service. But just as many raved about the great customer service. So I guess it’s just the luck of the draw. Or maybe now Keurig has improved their customer service department. I’m not sure. I personally have not had to contact them.
A few complained about the coffee being weak. That is a taste issue. I feel personally that the coffee is a little on the strong side. But with all the numerous varieties and strengths of k cups available, you are sure to find the right coffee for your taste.
Some complained that their coffee maker stopped working or had problems after awhile. Others stated that they had theirs for years with no problems.
Where You Can Buy the Keurig B40 Coffee Brewer?
You can find the Keurig B 40 coffee brewers at your local stores such as Walmart, Kohl’s, Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, and Best Buy. You can also get it online through Keurig’s site which is Keurig.com or also at Amazon. Did I mention the shipping is free?
Keurig B40 Best Price
Amazonseems to have the best price, but only by a dollar or two. They do offer free shipping though which can save you some bucks. Click the picture to get the current sale price:
*UPDATE* July 5th, 2012
We have had this coffee maker for well over a year now. It does an average of 4-6 cups of beverages (coffee, cocoa, tea, etc) a day. I got to say, I still love this coffee maker!
It’s such a work horse. No problems or issues with it. I still highly recommend it.
It’s also nice that now I can find the K cups every where; Walmart, my local grocery stores, pretty much every where I shop.
Article by: Cathy Ratcliffe