I decided to do my next review on the LUCID by LinenSpa Memory Foam Firm Viscoelastic Mattress because I own this myself and after several months of sleeping on it, I feel qualified to give an accurate review of it.
Why I Bought This Mattress
Back in June, my daughter moved out. She decided to give her old bed to her 2 year old daughter and buy a king size mattress. After doing some research on the memoryfoam mattress, she decided to go with a LinenSpa memory foam mattress. She didn’t have a lot of money to buy a whole new bed, and king sized mattress sets can be quite expensive so the Lucid by LinenSpa seemed like a good choice.
I would have advised her against buying this king foam mattress, being that it was pretty cheap except it did have a 20 year warranty and she got it from Amazon, which I know is a trust worthy site.
I asked her how she liked it after she had been sleeping on it for a few weeks and she told me it was the best bed she had ever slept on. One day when I was at her apartment, babysitting my granddaughter, we took a nap on my daughter’s new bed. I had to agree. It was really comfortable.
Since my little granddaughter stays overnight at my house several nights a week, I decided to get a bed for her to sleep in and put it in my daughter’s old room.
Since I’m also on a budget, and I really liked my daughter’s memory foam bed, I decided to buy the same thing except because of the size of the bedroom, I got a queen size memory foam mattress.
I got my LinenSpa mattress from Amazon too and it came within a week. It came in a large box and it took 2 of us to drag it upstairs. I had bought the bed frame that Amazon recommended under their “Frequently Bought Together” section. If you want to take a look at it, you can find it here: Structures by Malouf HIGHRISE Folding Metal Bed Frame 14″ High Bi-Fold Platform Bed Base.
The bed frame was really easy to put together. It came in 2 parts that you just unfold and then you screw the 2 together. I am so mechanically challenged it’s sad, but even I was able to put it together within a few minutes.
Then I took the mattress out of the box. It looked so thin, I thought there was no way it was 10 inches thick. But once I took it out of the plastic wrapper, and laid it out on the frame, it started to puff up. Within a few hours, it was a full 10 inches thick. A picture of it is to the right:
You are supposed to let it air out for a day or two but it was really ready to sleep on by that night. I did wait until the next day to try it out.
My First Night Sleeping on My Memory Foam Mattress
When I did sleep on it, it was the best night’s sleep I have gotten in ages. I have neck and back problems from an old whiplash injury and I usually wake up sore and stiff in my legs and my back and neck are aching. But sleeping on this Viscoelastic memory foam mattress left me waking up without pain for the first time in years! I actually slept through the night without waking up multiple times. In my opinion this is the best mattress for back pain. I now sleep on this bed every night instead of the King size bed in my room. I consider it one of the best purchases I ever made and would buy it again in a heart beat.
What is Visco Elastic Memory Foam ?
You may be wondering what is visco elastic memory foam anyway. Visco elastic material allows mattress toppers to conform to your individual curves to relieve pressure points. Visco Elastic foam has higher resistance to change than traditional foam.
The Pros of This Mattress
- It offers great support for your body and conforms to weight and pressure of your body.
- Relieves back, neck and shoulder pain by reducing pressure points.
- Good for any sized person.
- It comes in the 10 inch size described in this review and also 8 inch and 12 inch sizes.
- It comes in many sizes: Twin, XL Twin, Full, Queen, King and California King.
- It has a antimicrobial and anti-dust mite washable cover.
- The mattress itself is also antimicrobial and mold resistant, allergen resistant and resists bacteria and dust mites.
- It has a 20 year warranty which is much longer than most traditional mattresses.
- Unlike some foam mattresses, this doesn’t heat up because of it’s open cell technology that allows for air flow.
- You do not need box springs, just a platform or frame and the mattress.
- Easy delivery and set up.
- Free Shipping if you buy from Amazon.
- Very affordable.
- Doesn’t move around and jiggle when you move around on it like a traditional mattresses.
The Cons of This Mattress
- You will need to buy the “deep” sheets to fit the mattress properly. They are easy to find. I’ve seen them everywhere and got mine at Walmart.
- Although there is a mattress cover on it, it isn’t water resistant so if that’s something you need, you will have to buy the waterproof pad separately.
- You can’t use a traditional bed frame for it. Actually you can if you buy some plywood cut to the size of your frame and laid in the bottom of the bed frame. Otherwise you will need to buy a special frame or platform for it.
- Some said in the comments it took a little getting used to but once they did, they loved it. I loved it from the first time I used it.
- Some said there was a chemical smell when they first took the mattress out of the plastic wrapper. However, it will dissipate within a day or two. I didn’t notice any smell at all when I opened the mattress.
Who Are These Foam Beds For?
- Anyone with back, neck, and joint problems.
- Those who like firm beds.
- Those who do not have much money to spend on a bed.
- Anyone who sleeps in the bed with another person, specially if that person moves a lot during the night.
- Parents who have kids who like to jump on their beds. These memory foam beds make it difficult to do that.
Who Are These Foam Beds Not For?
- Those who prefer a soft mattress. Although some who thought this foam mattress was too hard, bought a soft foam or downy topper to go on top. It gives them the support they need and the softness they prefer.
- Those who prefer to try out their mattress in a store first.
What Others Are Saying
“You could set something down on one corner and the other corner doesn’t even move. I spent double on a bed for DD 5 months ago from JCP but this mattress is less bulky, doesn’t make any spring sounds and much more comfortable than hers. ”
“I am so thrilled with this foam bed! I used to hurt waking up and have to put my shoulder back into place and so far I have not had to do that.”
“You can’t beat this mattress. I absolutely love it. Switched from a standard spring but this is the best sleep I’ve ever gotten.”
“It is very firm, but conforms well to your body. I used to wake up nearly every night with my legs or arms numb, but it has yet to happen with this mattress.”
“The first night sleeping on it was unbelievable! I slept like a bear in hibernation! But the best thing was that I was not hurting the next morning!”
“an added benefit is that when my girlfriend or I get in or out of the bed at night the other can’t feel them moving around. Its much nicer than a standard mattress”
“This mattress is accurately described as firm; soft and comfortable, though you won’t “sink” into it. It molds gently around your body while offering support.”
To read complete reviews-click here.
Is There A Warranty?
Yes! I mentioned it before but if you missed it, this mattress has a 20 year warranty. Much longer than most other mattresses!
The mattress and a zippered mattress pad that is already on the mattress. The only other thing you need to buy is the frame.
Where to Buy
I may be biased because I buy most of my stuff off of Amazon. BUT, I did check around the internet, and found that Amazon did have the lowest price on the Lucid LinenSpa memory foam mattress. The savings were between 10 and 65% Plus with free shipping, it’s a no-brainer. Click here to see what the current price is.
Below is a picture of my bed with the headboard and all the linens on.
If you end up buying one of these beds, or already have one, I’d love to hear your experience with it.
LUCID by LinenSpa 10″ Memory Foam Firm Viscoelastic Mattress 20-Year Warranty, Queen
*UPDATE* August 29, 2012: I have used this mattress for over a year now and I still love it! It’s the most comfortable mattress I have ever owned.
*UPDATE* December 17,2015: It’s now been over 4 years and I sleep on this mattress every night. Still love it!
Article by Cathy Ratcliffe