One night I was working late into the night in my home office as I often do. Unfortunately it was hard to concentrate. And that was because of this little guy in the picture above. Well not him exactly but some of his cousins. Roof rats to be exact.
My whole neighborhood has been invaded with roof rats! It’s so hard to deal with these guys. They go from house to house. They like to live on roofs and in attics. When one house gets rid of them through pesticides or whatever, the rats just pack up their belongings and move to the next roof and attic!
Unlike the rat in the photo above, roof rats are kind of cute. I ran into them a few times out in my backyard at night. But they aren’t all that afraid of humans. I walked right up to one that was in a small tree and looked eye to eye and that rat never budged until I yelled at him to ‘Get out of here!’
And though they are cute, they can do major damage to homes. So it’s important to get rid of them. We started putting industrial strength mouse traps up on our roof and would catch one almost every night but still they just kept coming. I would hear them having a party in my attic every night. Hence the reason I was having trouble concentrating while working.
At the point where I was almost at my wit’s end, I got an email asking if I would be interested in trying a new kind of pest control. This pest control supposedly was safe around pets and kids and wouldn’t actually kill the rodents, but would drive them away. Well, I was all over that! Killing them wasn’t actually helping at all. And I have a small child here and pets, and I have asthma so I wasn’t thrilled about using poisons in my home.
Of course I said I would give it a try and write a review, and within a few days I got my sample of Fresh Cab. My sample consisted of 4 packets of a very fragrant smelling substance. One packet will cover about 8 feet of space. So it was plenty enough to cover my attic.
So I waited to see what would happen that night. Well unfortunately, that first night I was disappointed to hear my little friends having their usual rodent party. I wasn’t ready to throw in the towel and say the Fresh Cab didn’t work but I was having some doubts.
The second night, I heard….NOTHING!! Yay, they were gone, right? Well not quite. The third night I head a little activity but not as much as I usually did.
It’s now been about 2 weeks and they are definitely gone! No More roof rats! We aren’t even catching them in the traps on top of the roof anymore so they are avoiding our house altogether. Meanwhile my neighbors are still having problems. Even the ones that had professional exterminators come in. Yes, I have been telling them about Fresh Cab.
So this stuff does work.
Here’s what I like about it:
- It’s natural and non toxic.
- It doesn’t kill the animals, just discourages them from living in your home (I hate having to kill anything).
- It has a strong spicy odor instead of a chemical smell.
- It works!
- Free shipping.
- Works for all rodents.
Here’s what I didn’t like about it:
- It’s rather costly. At the time of this writing a box of 12 costs $59 (but then that’s still much cheaper than a professional exterminator).
- You have to replace it every 30 days so that means once a month, I have to crawl up in the attic and replace it which is a pain in the butt.
- You cannot use it in places where you spend a lot of time at like around your bed or couch.
- The smell, although pleasant and spicy, is really strong. I can smell it in my office even though it’s above me in a closed up attic. The smell is mild from this distance but if I had within my house itself, it would be much stronger.
So will I continue to use this stuff? You betcha! It works and that’s the important thing to me!
Here’s a link to buy Fresh Cab or to read more about it:
Oh by the way, I’m required by law to tell you that I am not getting paid to write this post. I did receive a free sample of the product to try out but all opinions are mine and mine alone.
Article by Cathy Ratcliffe