I love to make a fun food for each holiday. After my kids grew up, I stopped making silly, fun holiday food. But now that I have a 2 year old granddaughter, I have a new generation to make these things for.
Now I actually saw something similar to this on Pintrest and I thought I had repinned it to show yall. But now I can’t find it so I guess I didn’t.
Anyway the original was made with your traditional deviled eggs, you know where the yolks are mixed with mayonnaise and maybe a little mustard.
I like my deviled eggs more chunky, like egg salad with lots of chopped veggies. So I wondered if I could make cute chicks with the chunky consistency. Only way to find out was to try it and I think they came out pretty cute.
Below I show you how I make my deviled eggs. Feel free to use your own deviled egg recipe if you want. Also I really don’t have many measurements for my deviled eggs. I just eyeball and taste test until they are just right.
What you will Need to Make the Chicks
- Clean egg carton
- Eggs (as many as you want to make)
- Pitted Black Olives ( I only used 1 for this)
- Carrot (I used just part of 1 baby carrot to make 8 eggs)
- Ingredients to make Deviled Eggs (or make them the way I do- see below)
What You Also to Need if You Make Chunky Deviled Eggs Like Mine
Along with the eggs, I also use:
- A Dill Pickle ( I used 2 dill pickle slices)
- 1 Stalk of Celery
- 1 Small Onion
- Salt and Pepper
Boil Your Eggs
- Put your eggs into your pan in one layer and cover with water.
- Put a splash of vinegar and sprinkle of salt to keep the egg shell from sticking to the eggs while cooking.
- Bring to a boil and then turn off.
- Let eggs sit on burner for 15 minutes (If you use a gas stove, leave them on low heat for 15 minutes).
- After eggs are cool, gently crack the shell and remove it.
Prepare Your Eggs
- Cut your egg as shown in the photo above. Leave enough at the top for the chick’s “cap”.
- Gently spoon out the yolk, being careful not to tear the egg white.
- Put the yolks in a large bowl. NOTE: If you do tear the egg, just chop it all up and add it to the deviled egg concoction. I sacrificed 2 of my eggs this way.
Prepare The “Deviled” Part
- With your electric mixer, mix the yolks with mayo, mustard, paprika, salt and pepper to taste. I don’t have set amounts for these ingredients but usually it’s around a tablespoon of mustard and 2-3 tablespoons of mayo.
- Chop your veggies and add to the bowl with the yolks. I used my food processor to finely chop my celery, onion and pickle.
Your egg mixture should look something like this:
Make Your Chicks
Now comes the fun part!
Fill the egg whites with the deviled egg mixture. Make sure you over fill so you have the chick’s “head” coming out of the egg white.
Add the faces. Just chop up tiny pieces of black olive for the eyes and a carrot for the beak.
Now just add the caps and your done!
MayMay loves eating these cute little guys. In fact, we made these about 4 days ago and she has asked me every day for more “eggy chickies”.
If you make these, please let me know how they turned out. I’d love a picture too and will add it to this page.