The colors that we love are as personal to us as our hairstyle or what kind of books we like to read. Color does a lot more for us than many of us realize. It can affect your mood. It can add some ambiance. It can soothe or stimulate our senses depending how we use it.
In fact there are 3 main things that colors can do for you when decorating. they can be stimulating, or they can be relaxing or they can be balancing.
I used to think that we should use rather quiet, subdued colors for decorating. But then I went over a lady’s house one time who used wild bold colors in her home. And it was gorgeous! Of course she had a real knack for decorating. I’m not sure my house would look that great if I got totally crazy with color.
But it did inspire me to be a little more daring with my use of color. With good results, I might add.
I found that the trick with decorating with color (and not have it look like a clown’s bedroom) is to only use one or two main colors. But you can accent with additional colors and that’s where the fun comes in.
Think about what the room is used for. Red may not be the best choice for a bedroom as it might inhibit sleep. But it’s a great choice for a kitchen.
When choosing colors, go with the colors that makes you happy, even if it may be a little weird. For instance, I’m a woman in my 50’s and yet my bedroom is all in pinks with touches of turquoise, and purple. Does it look like a teen aged girl’s room? Yeah, probably. But it’s my refuge and it makes me smile every time I go in that room.
Now, I probably wouldn’t use pink for the living room though. Do use what colors you love but use some common sense. If you love black, I wouldn’t suggest painting the walls all black. Although I did see a picture where a living room was all in black and white. 3 walls were white and one was black. The effect was striking!
Some things to remember:
- If you have a spouse, or significant other living with you, do try to find main colors you both like. You can always use your personal favorite as an accent color.
- Think about the size of the room and what kind of natural light it has. Dark colors will make it feel like you are living in a cave in a room with few windows.
- Also dark colors will make a room look smaller so think about that when painting the walls of a small room.
- If you have a huge room, feel free to use dark colors on walls if you want. It can afford to look smaller.
- Don’t feel like you have to go with the latest trend, just go with what you like.
- Feel free to experiment with color. You may be pleasantly surprised by the results!