Eight Toxic and Dangerous Items For Children in Your Home

MayMay on phoneMost parents understand that certain toys, objects and chemicals are more dangerous to their children than others.  As such, parents choose carefully and don’t bring them into the home.

New parents do not tend to leave guns, knives or matches around the house when children are present, as these can all easily turn lethal in the hands of a child.  However, many parents fail to realise that some of the most dangerous weapons against their children are in their homes at this moment.

When one realises that more children die of accidental poisoning at home compared to any kind of accidental gun fire, it’s easy to decide that some dedication must be put into preventing accidental poisoning in children.

Here are 8 toxic items endangering your children in your very own home now.

1.  Medication.  Just because a medication is safe for parents to take in moderation, does not mean it is safe for a child. It is certainly not when the child takes far more than the recommended adult dosage.  It is wise to keep all medicine cabinets locked, besides keeping all medications (even non-prescription) out of the reach of children.

2.  Cleaning Products.  Any cleaning product meant to cut through grease or sterilise items is a danger to children.  The bright colours and appealing flavours often draw children to attempt ingestion of cleaning products.  It doesn’t help that most such products are kept well within their reach under kitchen sinks, bathroom sinks, next to the toilet bowl or on the floor of cleaning cupboards.  As with the meds , put cleaning chemicals out of eyeshot and lock all containing cupboards’ doors.

3.  Soap, Shampoo and Conditioner.  No one thinks to safeguard the children against items left on the floor of the shower.  These items are always present and seem to be harmless enough.  Again, if ingested in large quantities (especially some shampoos and conditioners) are not only poisonous but also lethal.  Get a shower rack and to use it to hang such items out of arms’ reach.

4.  Canned Food.  Although children are not likely to be instantly poisoned by the contents of a metal can, the long-term effects of exposure to the epoxy resin that contains bisphenol-A  and is used as a lining in most cans can be disastrous to developing children.  This chemical, also known as BPA, is linked to heart disease, hormonal disruptions, obesity and more.

5.  Pesticides.  Anything and everything from spray-on pesticides for the home and garden to ant traps on the floor of the kitchen can potentially fall under the category of ‘pesticide.’  The active ingredients in most pesticides are designed to arrest the nervous systems of insects instantly.  When ingested,  these chemicals can do the same for pets and children. They are also have been known to cause poisonings and even deaths in both.

6.  Air Fresheners.  While not instantly lethal, the chemical combinations in air fresheners have been shown to contain chemicals which are extremely dangerous to inhale such as chlorine, bleach, ammonia amongst others.

7.  Lead Paint.  Not many people worry about lead paint today, as it was removed from the majority of buildings and homes. But people fail to consider other items like toys, picture frames and vehicles which may still have lead paint on them.

8.  Corrosive and Caustic Cleaners.  Although they also fall under the general cleaning product category, these products are especially dangerous because they are designed to burn away tough grime and can instantly burn and destroy the eyes, the skin and some internal tissue which they come in contact.  Severe damage takes seconds and can be lethal.



Sharon Freeman is an Australian freelance writer and blogger.  Since 2007, she is constantly writing about buying, selling, renting real estate and articles for companies like http://taylors.com.au/






Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *