Another winter week. We have been lucky here. So far the winter has been relatively warm. We have had a few cold days in the 40’s but most have been in the 50’s and 60’s. Hope it lasts! How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
I had my 21 year nephew come and spend a few days with us this week which we all really enjoyed. I don’t get to see my sister or her family as much as I’d like to.
Not much else going on in this household. Oh, except after 3 1/2 years without medical insurance, I finally have it again! You don’t realize how much you appreciate insurance until you no longer have it anymore.
I made an appointment for a check up for February 1st and I’m already nervous about it. I don’t like going to the doctor’s. But I guess no one really does like it, right?
After I made the appointment with my new doctor, I googled her and read the reviews people left about her. I guess I should have done this before I chose a doctor, right? Well there weren’t a whole lot of choices for female doctors who were internists (which I prefer), close to where I live and had available appointments. Anyway, turns out the one bad review on this doctor was from someone who said she was biased against overweight people. Uh Oh. I may be changing doctors after this appointment.
Okay on to this week’s dinner menu plan:
Vegetable Pasta Casserole
Chicken Pot Pie
Fast Food Friday
I’m including the recipe for vegetable pasta casserole. I haven’t tried this recipe myself yet but it looks yummy. I got this from FoogDJ.com .
Vegetable Pasta Casserole
- 1 (16 ounce) package penne pasta
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups nonfat milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, divided
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 butter flavored cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in broccoli, mushrooms and green pepper, and cook 6 to 8 minutes more, or until pasta is al dente; drain.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute onions and garlic for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in flour and milk; cook 5 minutes, or until mixture coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- In a 9×13 inch baking dish combine pasta, vegetables, milk mixture and 4 tablespoons basil. Sprinkle with bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, and remaining 1 tablespoon basil. Coat with butter flavored cooking spray.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.