Everyone knows that breakfast is supposed to be the most important meal of the day, right? But unfortunately morning time seems to be the most hectic time of the day too.
Which means many of us skip breakfast or grab something junky like a doughnut or danish.
Your body will run so much better through out the day if you start the day with a healthy breakfast. After all, it has gone through a period of sleeping and an even longer period without food.
If you opt for a quick breakfast at a fast food place, your choices for anything healthy are slim to none. The only fast food place with an option for a healthy breakfast that I know of is Subway.
If you have kids, you need to think about what you are going to feed them. It’s even more important for a child’s growing body to have a good healthy breakfast.
Ok, so I have convinced you that you need a healthy breakfast to star the day. So you are probably wondering how to do that.
Here are some ideas for you.
- One of the easiest is oatmeal. It’s filling, cheap and has fiber. You can cook it on the stove in 5 minutes or if you are really in a rush, go with the instant oatmeal. The advantage of the instant besides time savings, is it comes in different flavors and kids can make it themselves.
- The advantage to oatmeal you cook on the stove is it is much cheaper and probably healthier as it hasn’t been processed as much as the instant oatmeal. You can add fruit to it that you cut up the night before to add some flavor or add a little honey if you like it sweet.
- Grab a banana. For a fruit, they are quite filling.
- My favorite, and also the favorite of my daughter and grand daughter are fruit smoothies. You can use frozen fruit. We buy a big bag of frozen sliced strawberries and then pull out a cup or two to make smoothies. If you have fresh fruit on hand, wash and cut it up the night before and store in a container in the fridge. In the morning, add some vanilla yogurt or plain yogurt, some ice cubes and milk and blend in the blender.I like mine a little sweeter so I usually add a spoon full of honey too before blending.
- Make some hard boiled eggs the night before and peel them. You can grab an egg or two for a super quick breakfast.
- If you have about 5-10 minutes to prepare eggs in the morning, scramble some eggs. You can add some chopped up veggies to it if you want (chopped the night before of course). Or add some shredded cheese. Slice a bagel horizontally and put the eggs inside for an easy egg sandwich. You can also use whole grain toast too to make the egg sandwich.
- I love yogurt for breakfast. My son likes it too but he adds fruit and granola to it to make it more filling.
- Speaking of granola, when I was working, I often kept a baggie of granola in my purse to eat on the way to work on those rushed mornings.
Can you think of any to add? Leave a comment and let me know what your favorite quick, healthy breakfast is.