Does looking around your house make you feel overwhelmed and want to run away? Well, if your answer is yes, your house does need a makeover.
It seems quite a difficult task to get rid of all your unnecessary stuff and have nice decor at the same time. Your humble abode should be free of chaos, unlike most of our chaotic lives. It should be the place where we can forget our stress and enjoy peace.
This is where, my friend, the art of minimalism comes. In this style, lighting, area, furniture, and accessories are given equal importance. Your space needs only essentials which are more than enough.
These essentials should be curated to make the greatest impacts and make you happy. You need to decide what is required and what is not. And a minimalist space doesn’t need to be boring at all. It can be fun and yet, very functional.
To help you out, we have 9 steps for you to achieve a house with minimalism and decluttered decor.
1. Keep the color palette neutral – A neutral color palette is the foundation of minimalist home decor. The subdued scheme of color will help you in having a better vision. It will give a clean and tidy look. You can be as creative as you want. Play with patterns and textures because after all, it is a blank canvas before you. Also, white is not the only color to consider. Pastel and nudes look great too. Just because the approach is minimalist, it doesn’t need to be bland. But don’t go overboard with the shades.Remember to incorporate not more than two colors at a time.
2. Invest in wall panels – Now, who doesn’t love contemporary wall panels? These wall
panels are quite easy to install. You don’t need too many artworks, photo frames, or
posters to adorn your walls. You just need to get fancy wall paneling done. If you are
fond of textures and metals, textured metal wall panels are a good option. Likewise,
you can get real brick wall panels, acrylic shower walls panels, etc. Getting wall
paneling done is affordable as well. You can change the look of your house in a budget.
3. Believe in quality over quantity – This is a mantra which we have all listened to and
tried to follow in our lives. But have you ever related this philosophy with interior
designing? If not, then you definitely need to. Here, we are trying to live a decluttered
life. So, get rid of the furniture and accessories which provide no use to your home.
Make the functionality of the object your priority. Focus on quality design products.
For instance, opt for a sofa-cum-bed. On regular days, it is a sofa placed in your
living. room. When there are too many guests at your place, the sofa turns into a bed.
4. Goodbye, extra supplies – In most households, there are chances of running into stuff which are duplicates of other items. Whenever you open the drawer or cupboard, you do find things which you have an extra of. Don’t you? Ask yourself if you need the
item. In case you don’t, get rid of it. Donate it to a needy person. In this way, you are
associating with good works and decluttering to your house at the same time. The
duplicates are not always obvious. Suppose you have a mini portable Bluetooth
speaker. So, you can get rid of the music player and huge speakers which does not
serve your purpose anymore.
5. Match the storage space with aesthetics – Said goodbye to all the extra stuff? Still, the arrangement doesn’t look pleasing enough? Now, it is time for you to sneak around
the items. These are such items which can’t you can get rid of but don’t know where
to place them. Stylish and good quality storage spaces allow you to store your entire
world. You can also make your house look classy and elegant. Minimalist people with
maximalist hearts are going to find this trick very useful.
6. Experiment with different textures – There are possible chances of a neutral base
room missing ‘that’ charm. So, you can spice things up by using different types of
textures. It is a trick which never seems to fail. Pillows, rugs, and blankets either
knitted or beaded induce comfort in the bedroom. The textures depend on your
choice. Although, it is advised to not crazy with them. Mixing of too many textures
will have the opposite effect of what you want. Make sure that they blend with the
7. Use statement pieces to accessorize – There is no point of decorating the house with
hundreds of furniture and accessories. It only increases the chaos more and more.
Statement pieces are in trend since forever. They enhance the beauty of a space. You
don’t even need too many of them. One or two bold pieces are enough to lit up your
living room. You get minimalism décor without much effort. Hang a contemporary
artwork on the wall or leave some walls bare if you want. How beautiful bright yellow
and orange cushions would look in a neutral backdrop!
8. Keep the surfaces flat and clean – According to experts, houses with a minimalistic
approach never opt for curvy or haphazard lines. The reason behind it is that they only
add more to the clutter. These house feature straight and well-defined surfaces which
enhance its aesthetic value.
9. Bring nature home – Serene green plants with fresh leaves calm down the mind.
What’s not to like about them? Tiny earthen pots with plants on the dresser or study
table can bring life to the room. You can place the bigger plants in a corner of the
living or bedroom. This is the easiest possible way you can get an aesthetically
Take baby steps. Try one thing at a time and keep everything simple. You do not need too many cushions or paintings. As you must be knowing that less is always more, make small changes.